Dutch designer Iris van Herpen

by R27 CREATIVELAB on Thursday 28 August 2008

Dutch designer Iris van Herpen takes inspiration from industrial smoke in her latest collection.


Dazed Digital: What was the inspiration for your collection SS09 collection 'Refinery Smoke'?
Iris Van Herpen: I have been passing refineries many times in my life, the grey, tragic look of it inspires me, especially the beautiful fluently crawling smoke, which is so beautiful when looking at it, but you get this stange feeling because it should not be there. I tried to capture the look of the industrial smoke together with the contradiction of the refinery. I also wonder if we will always be wearing clothes/fabrics, or would it be possible in future to wear other substances like smoke?

Read the full article here | View gallery here |

Iris Van Herpen S/S 09 'Refinery Smoke' backstage photography by Joost Vandebrug

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Best Regards Rajesh