Elli Fordyce – Set in Stone

by R27 CREATIVELAB on Wednesday 29 July 2009

Whether we realise it or not we all have a few rules that we follow, consciously or subconsciously. The trick is to realise what works for you early on in the game and move forward...


A quick note before we begin - you can hear samples of Elli's music at the end of the article and download desktop images.

--------------

With so many artists in the music arena falling wayward and going off the edge, what keeps you grounded?
I'm not THAT grounded, but what keeps me more grounded than I would be if not proactive about it, is: (1) deliberately choosing to and as much as possible working only with very effective people, (2) focusing in as much as possible on taking one step at-a-time, and (3) working as needed on my own issues, either alone or by getting help (coaching, training and exchanging with people with whom I can learn or who help people expand in personal growth). The internet is an enormous resource for tools, contacts and recommendations, and I take advantage of the embarrassment of riches which appears on my radar everyday.

More specifically, while now launching my second jazz-vocal CD, I work with a proven team of promo people and completed production with the same wonderful engineer with whom I co-produced the first CD. Working with people you trust is very important, then following up personally as best you can. Twitter is a site on which I particularly enjoy connecting, getting the word out about my CD and performances and sharing other information. To get and keep my perspective, I speak with my new manager who has many years of experience and a very proactive approach. With her help, I regain a degree of patience when things aren't zooming forward the way we'd prefer due to the economic state. As far as the big-picture view goes, I'm sure that the music "world" will, as always, evolve new ways for professionals to move forward. I hope to be one of those who capitalizes on these and am taking my baby steps in the mean while.

What are your creative Rules for Life: Something that you have set in stone and will not stray from?
I strive to become less and less rigid and fixed in my viewpoints. This applies to my music -- in which I'm relatively improvisational -- career and to life in general. However, what I'm most stubborn about is being with/working with only the most proactive, creative and positive people I can no matter what the area. When I sense or it becomes obvious that the fit with someone isn't working, I let it go and find others with whom there's a better match; it's important to know when to "cut your losses." Everyone is more productive and a lot happier in the collaborative process and in any relationship when they agree on basics, have similar energy or attitudes or all of the above. Though I can't always be as picky as I'd like, when possible I make choices based on those criteria and trust my gut.


--------------
You may also want to read the following articles covering Elli's life:

Elli Fordyce – Still very cool
Elli Fordyce – In the light she dances...
Elli Fordyce – What's your type?
Elli Fordyce – No More Blues
Elli Fordyce – Inspiration
Elli Fordyce – Change

--------------
Free Wallpaper Images

On behalf of Elli - download your desktop wallpaper images by [clicking here]

Available in the various screen sizes. If there are any particular screen sizes that would suit you more then leave a message and I'll arrange it for you...














--------------
Useful Links

Elli Fordyce's Website: www.ellifordyce.com
You can follow Elli on twitter @ElliFordyce
Management: Redwood Entertainment [see artists page]

--------------
CD and samples available from | iTunes | CD Baby | Amazon | Napster | AmieST |


Certain images are provided and owned by © 2009 Elli Fordyce |
Desktop images and text created by R27 | © 2009 R27 Creativelab

Leave your comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Best Regards Rajesh